Your voice. Your profession. Your forum!

Is healthcare a right or a privilege – or both?

9 months, 3 weeks ago

If you believe that healthcare is a right, then how can you effectively play a supporting role in how this “right” is exercised or manifest in an organization?

If you believe that healthcare is a privilege, then how can you play a supporting role in how this “privilege” is exercised or manifest in an organization differently? What are your perspectives in how it is a privilege rather than a right, or vice-versa? Who bestows this privilege to patients and how? Where does it come from? If it is a privilege, do we have the right be sick as human beings? If yes, do we then have the right to be cured or treated? Or is it that we are privileged to be treated or cured?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Mylacrish
    Posted April 15, 2018 at 6:19 pm

Healthcare should be a right to all, and for all, therefore healthcare is  a right – not a privilege. By what definition does one call healthcare a privilege? I often hear that it is a privilege to drive a car, but yet it is financial burden to have that insured. If healthcare is a privilege, and I have to buy health insurance to ensure that I have this privilege, what gives?

Of course, there are those among us who can afford better healthcare, but it doesn’t change the conversation on whether it is a privilege one iota. Who in the bloody world bestow this privilege among us, if it is a privilege? We have a right to be treated, as we pay for it. We have a right to study medicine in order to provide healthcare as a service to consumers. If we are consumers of healthcare at a financial loss, then what’s the privilege about? or where does this privilege come from? I would really like to know.

1 replies

• I am_healthcare
      Posted April 15, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Hello Mylacrish,

I get your point. However, the doctors who provide healthcare, are they not consumers of healthcare themselves when they are sick? did not have to go to college to earn their degree in medical school in order to afford the healthcare that they provide? If you agree, then how do you mean that healthcare is a right? from what perspectives are you coming from that healthcare is a right? No one, in my opinion has a right to anything, nevermind healthcare. We are all consumers, who consume and provide healthcare to one another. If we had to study medicine in order to provide healthcare, do we then not in some fashion provide this privilege to ourselves?

I am not I understand your argument against healthcare being a privilege, when it is. I’d be curious to hear your thoughts, :-).

0 replies

• Kenel6
    Posted September 30, 2018 at 1:58 pm

Health care must be an universal right for  everyone not a privilege because everyone deserves to live normal life.

0 replies