Your voice. Your profession. Your forum!

Is healthcare a right or a privilege – or both?

9 months, 3 weeks ago

If you believe that healthcare is a right, then how should Managers help exercise or manifest this “right” to patients pre/at/post care delivery?

If you believe that healthcare is a privilege, then how should Managers exercise or manifest this “privilege” differently? Who bestows this privilege to patients and how? where does it come from? If it is a privilege, do we have a right to be sick as human beings? If yes, do we then have the right to be treated or cured, or is it a privilege that we are treated and cured? Is it both a right and a privilege or one or the other?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• I am_healthcare
    Posted April 15, 2018 at 6:33 pm

As a Manager, I would be curious to hear how Front-line staffs respond to this question. They are at the front line of medicine, consume medicine and are providers of care. I’d be curious to hear their perspectives. For me, I believe that just as we in America have certain alienable rights, that healthcare is a non-negotiable subject in terms of rights. It is a right to all Americans, rich or poor, able or disable – period. How else can we define healthcare as a privilege if not for the unfortunate insurance that we have to purchase, and that often classifies us into the-haves and haves-not?

0 replies

• jesus1994
    Posted October 2, 2018 at 8:23 pm

yes it’s both

0 replies

• jesus1994
    Posted October 2, 2018 at 8:23 pm

both

0 replies

• jesus1994
    Posted October 2, 2018 at 8:24 pm

privilege