Your voice. Your profession. Your forum!

Is there karma in ghosting candidates?

2 years, 2 months ago

You know the “what goes around comes around” line – are there situations where the company’s reputation can be affected unbeknownst to an employer? Especially small companies? What’s preventing the H/R from being candid to candidates, when candidates are not selected? Could a candidate who is not a match today, be your best candidate years later? Because you ghosted them before, would they give you the light of day on your next search that for which they are ideal matches? Does this resonate with H/R at all before ghosting candidates?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

lauracartie
    Posted November 26, 2017 at 9:14 pm

Job hunting is stressful and frustrating to job seekers, not to mention – time consuming. After spending hours meticulously writing and editing resumes and cover letters, it is very frustrating for a job seeker to not hear a word of feedback from HR and hiring managers. Sometimes, even after a long interview process, the job seeker gets not one word of feedback. The job seeker is understandably upset by the lack of attention from the company. I think there are several reasons for this. Sometimes the company is just plain disorganized. They don’t have a good candidate tracking system, they don’t really know what they are looking for in a candidate, or there internal management is incompetent. Sometimes, they don’t realize the image they project to future candidates by ghosting or just completely ignoring their job candidates. Good candidates don’t put up with the run around. The ones who do eventually move on to better jobs the first chance they get. It is important for companies to realize how much of their image is based on the way they treat on their candidates. A not so great candidate today may be great for another job tomorrow. Also, it is important for job candidates to keep their emotions out of their job search. After being ghosted on, several times, the candidate may feel understandably bitter but the bitterness will not help you get a job the next time around or at the next company.

0 replies

lauracartie
    Posted November 26, 2017 at 9:25 pm
    • Edited 2 years, 3 months ago.

0 replies

megancox
    Posted December 3, 2017 at 8:56 pm

I went through 2 rounds of interviews when the job I was interviewing for was cancelled. When the HR representative told me the job was cancelled, she asked if I’d be open to her sending me other “good fits” within the same company because the hiring manager that interviewed me really liked me. I’ve followed up with her twice and never heard back.

I think it’s really important to respond to emails. By not responding to my email, the recruiter made the company look like they don’t have it together. I was really interested in this particular company, but they’ve since gone on my B list from this experience alone. If they don’t respect you enough to answer your email, will they respect you as an employee? It’s tough to know…

0 replies