Your voice. Your profession. Your forum!

Organizational Development: is it effective? or is it needed?

9 months, 1 week ago

Some companies have Organizational Development, or OD, in addition to their H/R department as a way to help improve employee satisfaction. With so many employee turnovers in healthcare today, is there a need for OD professionals? if you think there is, what healthcare environments do you think would benefit the most? Large healthcare systems, government healthcare agencies, community health centers (FQHCs), Medical centers or  rural hospitals? Are OD (s) beneficial at all from your past or current experiences?

How can OD and H/R professionals co-exist to improve employee satisfaction – which is the intended goal?

What’s your take….?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• healthcarefinance_mgr
    Posted August 17, 2018 at 9:36 pm

As a healthcare finance Manager who manages revenue cycle, I have played a role in shaping expectations for Organizational Development professionals in past positions and we saw some effects of the position. What I learned from what developed was that the position of an OD was a tough, and difficult one to manage. The OD professional was able to build rapport with us Managers at a faster pace that she did with the employees in the organization. She understood our pain-points in management and our wishes from the employees in the organization, however, we found that she had a difficult time engaging the employees. She reported that managing her acceptance with different employees were most difficult. 8 months-in, she was no longer with the company. The senior management brought in another OD with twice the experience as the previous OD, and the effect a year in was quite effective.

Having said that, I believe that it IS effective having an OD, as long as he/she can get the supports needed from HR and company managers, the success would follow. I also think that ODs with 10+ years of experience, like the one I experienced with would bring better employee engagement and impacting change on the employee satisfaction.

0 replies